Friday, January 13, 2006

Office Space

Late last week, my boss decided that I needed to add a lateral filing cabinet to my office. In the past, she's brought up the issue of the file cabinet whenever she's been pissy with me as her own passive-aggressive way to bug me (as I think my office is already crowded enough). This time, she did have a specific use in mind, and it did make sense to me. I measured the space and determined that I would have a spot for it and it wouldn't take up too much room. Now, also, you should know that my office is rather large, and there is an extra desk in here. A work-study student, M. uses this desk, maybe 6-8 hours a week.

So, the movers came on Tuesday and were supposed to put in the file cabinet. I was out of the office for the day (and so was my boss) so I left instructions with one of the secretaries to have it taken care of. Wouldn't you know it, when I came back in, there was no file cabinet to be found.

I later found out that M. and her boss took it upon themselves to move the cabinet (to a public waiting area--which will NOT work for sensitive historical financial and HR documents) because M didn't want it in here. Okay, so first of all, I measured it out, and the cabinet was NOT in the way of M's desk or personal space. At. All. Second of all, this girl is here like 6 hours a week and is leaving for good when she graduates in April, but apparently she thinks she has full say on what goes on in what is technically MY office. Thirdly, she and her boss decided to move the cabinet, knowing full well that both my boss and I intended to put it here. Even though they act like they did nothing wrong, they did it behind both of our backs and without our knowledge (implying that they knew we'd be pissed). This girl's boss actually told other people in the office that she was "crying because she was so claustrophobic". Um, interesting because this is a girl who requested shelves that hang directly over her workspace, always likes to keep the door closed and has so much crap on her desk that there's barely any desk showing.

I was NOT happy, but ultimately, my boss and I decided that we're going to either move it in here while she's not here one day and let her deal with it, or just wait until she leaves in April. Unreal. I hate people. Seriously.

2 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Tyson said...

Her name is M? Like from James Bond? That's pretty cool...

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Well, actually her name is Misty, Diddy Sorry to disappoint. ;)Just abbreviating to save time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home