Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Ranchero Poll?

So, the Harris Poll, which will make up 1/3 of the BCS standings formula this year released its list of voters. I will give it to them that a lot of these guys bring name recognition to their poll. Everyone who watches football knows who Terry Bradshaw and Boomer Esiason are. However, you can't convince me that these guys are actually going to watch enough games to be able to make INFORMED decisions about accurate rankings. For crying out loud, I don't even think Terry Bradshaw actually watches the highlights of the games he's recapping on the FOX NFL show, let alone several entire games each week of college football. Besides, how the crap is Andy Geiger on this list? Maybe he promised a free car from a local dealership, or promised to fix someone's Afro-American studies grade in return for being named a voter? Also, are they talking about our Bump Elliott? I thought he was dead...no joke.

Here's what I propose. The people who vote in college football polls are people who ACTUALLY watch all the games. People like my friends and me. We have two TVs, side-by-side so that we can watch a minimum of 2 games at all times. When we wake up on Saturdays, we watch College Gameday. If it's a Michigan home game, we head off to the game, then come home to watch the CBS SEC game and the later Big-10 game. We order food, so that no one has to leave the house and miss any of the games. We keep on watching, catching the ESPN Game evening game (a total classic. Nothing like Mr. Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfriedd broadcasting a game from Death Valley), and the TNT or TBS or whatever channel is covering the 10:30 start game from the West coast.

We watch football. That's just what we do. We talk about. We read about it. We KNOW it. So, Harris Poll, excuse me if I don't like the fact that someone who won't be spending a 1% of the time that I am watching and analyzing football can vote in a poll that will help determine the National Champion this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home