Friday, September 16, 2005

Football Talk

**We're not even going to discuss last week's UM-ND game. I knew our defense was weak, but I had no idea the offense was going to struggle as much as it did. I guess losing Hart was a pretty big deal (although props to Grady for the most part), and Henne looked, well, un-Henne-like. (As Sv suggested...maybe he and Joey traded brains?). There's nothing more frustrating than watching the defensive players trying to hype up the crowd for 3rd down, only to let ND get the First Down and more every time. At one point, my cousin A. (up for his first game ever) turned to me and said "If they gave me a reason to think that they'd make the stop, I'd cheer, but since they don't, then I'm saving my voice".

More than anything, I just wish that Lloyd and his staff just hadn't taken the fun out of football for me. For the first time in years, I'm just not even that excited about going to the game tomorrow. I know this sounds ultra pessismistic, but I'm predicting 2 or 3 more losses this season, not including the bowl game. (At Wisconsin and At Iowa are losses for sure, MSU is maybe a 50-50 chance). In some ways, I'm morbidly curious to see what would happen to the program if we do in fact lose a lot this year. Unfortunately, unless we didn't make a bowl game (and an Alumni Riot ensued) I'm pretty sure Martin would keep Carr no matter what, at least so he didn't have to go out on a bad note.

**On to the Lions...Wow. I have to say that I decided Sunday morning that I had gotten all my anger/frustration out at the game on Saturday, so I was just going to watch the Lions and take it easy. I actually enjoyed watching their game. Wow. A WIN! :) We're undefeated. I do have to say that I think the offense looks improved and Harrington actually looks decisive and effective most of the time. (like I said, did he switch brains w/Henne?) I'm not getting crazy, because it's a long season, but at least this game was interesting to watch. Gotta hand it to the Packers though--they KILLED themselves on penalties...and Wow, does Bretty-Bretty Gray Hair look old...

**My condolences to T-Diddy and Rhesus Pieces on their week 1 fantasy football defeat. Hey, T...do you like my team? Do you like how they play football? Yeah, I thought you might. Super Team--you're next. And watch out, I might actually play a QB who will get me some points this week. (Culpepper, WTF? Um...hello?)

**So I got 100% of the possible points last week in the ESPN College Pick 'Em. I'm in the 91st percentile as of today. Some of you might remember the Glorious weeks I spent at #5 IN THE COUNTRY of said contest last year. I'm trying to do the same thing as I did during my win streak, make quick picks and not overthink them. Hopefully I can beat last year's finish. I'm just going to not to freak out like I did last year and put way too much pressure on myself once I got to the leaderboard. (I knew I was in trouble when I spent many frantic moments checking the Boise State score while at the hockey game last year. ) Who knows, maybe that TV will be mine this year after all.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Tyson said...

...grumble grumble piece of #%*@ Lelie.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home