Friday, July 28, 2006

"And your little dog, too..."

So, this week's Project Runway presented the challenge of creating a "character" and outfit for her and her dog. Despite not being the world's biggest fan of "dogs as accessories", the challenge ended up better than I thought.

I loved:
**
Uli's winning ensemble. The dress was gorge (not a lot of people can make that pattern work) and I really had a clear idea of who her client was and what her style was. Plus, her name is fun to say, you can't beat that! ;)
**
Alison's outfit and adorably creative story. The whole look worked and was well executed!

I liked:
**
Keith's beautiful red patterned dress. "Dear Keith, you would have been in the 'loved' category if it weren't for your pissy attitude and blatant disregard for the point of the challenge. Yes, I realize dressing dogs is cheesy, but you're on a reality show, sometimes they bring the cheese, you just have to go with it. Nix the attitude next time. Love, Jess"
**
Jeffery's flapper-style dress. A little "Paris Hilton"-y, but then again, she's the kind of person who dresses her dog up to match her outfit, so maybe that's the point.
**
Robert's cute blouse and plaid skirt. His outfit also made more sense to me after I read that his dog's name was Chanel.
**
Kayne's printed skirt, blouse, jacket ensemble. Kayne had immunity, but he definitely didn't need it to stay in. That print isn't for everyone, but he definitely pulled it off and made a statement.
**
Laura's suit was classy and elegant. It was also boring and not all that creative. However, she's quite the "one-note" designer. Seriously, Laura, does EVERY outfit you make have to have a plunging neckline? I think she's going to have an epiphiany when she realizes that she's not designing for herself every time she makes a garment. I'm keeping her in the "like" category for now, but she has to show me something next time.
**
Michael's dress. Mike's quietly doing his thing and I still put him in as a potential front runner.

I was not "wowed" by:
**
Bonnie's dress/coat. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with this outfit, but it was kind of a snoozefest. If you're going to do something like a black dress, there has to be something to make it stand out and there just wasn't here.
**
Crazy Vincent's 80's inspired ensemble. At least there's nothing glaringly bad about this dress, but there's nothing interesting about it either. Incidentally, I get it that leggings are back in style (Damn you, Lohan!) but I wonder if Vincent ever knew they were out. For some reason, I get the distinct feeling that he still thinks we're living in 1983.
**
Bradley's volumious blouse and skirt. I guess maybe it was just a little "fashiony" for me, not all that wearable. The top looks vaguely like a paper bag, who wants to make themselves look bigger? I mean, I gotta give the dude props because A. It looked like he wasn't going to turn in anything for a while there and B. It's gotta be darn hard to design clothes when you're pretty much stoned at least 60% of the time. Am I the only one who sees Shaggy from Scooby Doo whenever Bradley's on TV?
**
Katherine's simple green dress. Why, Katherine, why did you ignore the brilliant advice of resident silver fox, Tim Gunn when he suggested you design a matching hoodie for model and dog? Without it, the dress looked sort of like a freshman sewing project with a crazy unfinished hem (don't blame the sewing machine, girl!). Granted, I didn't think this was grounds to drop her from the show, but it was the definition of "blah"

I hated:
**
Angela. As a person and a designer, she just irritates the crap out of me. Her story was random and rambling and I don't even think she knew what she wanted to accomplish with it. The dress was totally inapproriate for her scenario not to mention f-ugly! I felt like she was challening Lupe with all those weird rosettes and ruching. Dude, no adult wears a bubble skirt that short in public. Your outfit sucked, you suck and I were on the panel, you would have been OUT. (Incidentally, she mentioned multiple times in her casting video that people mistake her designs for Yves Saint Laurent. Really? Because *I* don't get that at all. Go back to Ohio, lady.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home