Thursday, July 20, 2006

Carry on...

Here's your weekly recap for last night's Project Runway. :)

The Good:
**Kayne and Robert's
winning Miss Universe pageant dress was the best of the bunch. We identified these guys as the favorites as soon as they teamed up. With Kayne's pageant experience and Robert's previous job as a designer for Barbie, they clearly had an edge. They designed something that was lovely in color and construction and blended fashion with pageant in the perfect amount. Well done, fellas. :)

**
Keith and Bradley--good effort, nice dress...maybe for a different challenge. The dress was much to fashion-y for a Miss USA scenario. It would be perfect for a red-carpet though, maybe on someone like Halle Berry.

**
Laura and Michael just barely missed the mark with their dress. I'm not sure why they chose white when Miss USA specifically said to avoid that color because it doesn't photograph well. It was a beautifully constructed and fitted dress, though. Sv thinks Michael could actually be contender for Top 3 and I don't disagree with him.

**
Uli and Bonnie had a lovely dress, but one that would work much better on a runway than at a pagaent. I like the braided halter neck detailing that Uli does and the flowing fabric was really pretty.

The Bad:
**I'm putting
Jeffrey and Allison here because I simply didn't understand their dress. *In theory*, I might have liked it but the execution was just a little off. The color contrast was pretty, but the fit of the bodice was bad and the skirt was a little on the schlumpy side.

**Even though
Malan and Katie's dress was, in fact, ugly, I'm considering them "bad" because at least they worked as a team. Malan suffered from "Santino Syndrome", crowding his dress with ruching and had way too much going on. Like La Nina said, "I didn't see her, I saw the dress." However, I think Malan was much more talented than this dress suggested and was sorry to see him go. I guarantee that if Michael Kors had been there, he never would have vote Malan off. Incidentally, I do feel like he was playing a character a little more than being himself. The whole "my mom never thought I'd amount to anything" story just seemed too cliche and rehearsed to be true. I think he had created a very specific character to play, right down to the weird accent.

The Ugly:
Vincent and Angela were unbearable. They were ugly not as much for the dress (minus the epaulets, it was a pretty dress. Fit's a little off though), but just for their bickering and attitudes. "Hi Vincent, I realize you're a bit of a Fruit Loop and kind of 'kooky' but you have a teammate for a reason. You need to let her help and not treat her like a secretary. Hi, Angela, I know you hate Vinnie and he's a couple of tacos short of a combination platter, but your insipid whining didn't help anyone. Besides that, you didn't even *make a sketch* for your meeting with Miss USA. I know you got screwed in terms of a teammate, but you could have made more of an effort. In my world, you're 'aut'" XOXO, Jess"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home