Thursday, July 13, 2006

Return to the Runway!

Project Runway is back for a 3rd season and I couldn't be happier! Last night's premiere introduced us to 15 new designers and personalities and this looks like it could be the best season yet. One quick note--why did they run the ad with a call-in poll listing the bottom 3 before they even showed who was in that group? Way to spoil it, Bravo. Here are the Good, the Bad and the Ugly from last night...

The GOOD
**
Keith, for someone who has never made a dress before, he rocked it. That dress was extremely wearable and well made. Anytime you get an "Adorable" from Nina Garcia, you are "in". :) However, in the long term, his "I make menswear" line (ala Emmett) is going to get a little old. That's going to come back to bite him eventually.

**
Robert, love, love LOVE that dress. Cute, flattering and stylish. I think he has a lot of potential and might be my early favorite. However, I'll need to see some sportswear from him before I tag him as a potential top 3. His dresses are great, but so were Austin's, he needs to bring a little more than that to the table.

**
Laura's coat made a statement and really reflected her personal style. It was a little much for me, but it was definitely a successful piece. I thought Michael Kors was going to offer her a job right there on the spot. I do wonder if her strong personal style might get a little stale after a while or create issues on a challenge where they need to tailor something to a client (ala the girl who lost the wedding dress challenge in season 1).

The BAD
**"Dear
Vincent, you're a nut. A big nutty nut. That hat, WTH? Your model looks like a hot mess. Lose the hat, glasses and pockets and you made a pretty cute dress. Oh, and stop being crazy, XOXO, Jess". I do feel for the guy though, crazy or not, it takes balls to cash in your 401K to try to get back into the industry.

**
Stacey, we hardly knew ye! Actually, I really didn't think that dress was all that bad. Sure, it was sheer and didn't fit great, but I didn't see it as the disaster that the judges did. Although, I do think she's better off having been eliminated, since she apparently can't use a sewing machine.

The UGLY
**
Jeffrey is my pick for Santino, Version 2.0. Dude, I don't need the attitude. I realize that you designed leather coats for JLo and Britney, but your dress looks like a a Joanns Fabric store threw up on your model. Why so much going on? As my 2nd grade teacher used to say "Keep It Simple, Stupid". I predict a throwdown between him and La Nina in the coming weeks.

**
Malan, Professor MacNeilly from the Fake Accent University called and he wants to you to come on board. Seriously dude, that has to be fake. I detest his swarminess, but that was a pretty cute outfit. Very Banana Repulic/Club Monaco looking.

Overall, I think they have a pretty strong crop of designers this season. I can't wait to see how they "make it work!"

1 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I agree. Roberts was my fav - the back won me over.

I was pretty disappointed in the models though. Very few were fierce. Several of them just kind of gimped down the runway - it seemed like they couldn't be bothered to give a strong walk to make an impression.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home