Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Jeff the Jerk

Some of my faithful readers (Ry) pointed out that I didn't blog about last week's Project Runway. I apologize for the oversight, for once I actually had some work happening at work. ;) So here's your recap, even if it is a little bit late. :)

For last week's challenge, the designers were charged with creating an outfit for the "Everyday Woman". As I predicted from the scenes, their moms (and sisters) were their models, however, Heidi's evil twist was that they weren't allowed to work with their own mom (or sister). You just knew things were going to go poorly when Jeffrey was left with Darlene, his archrival, Angela's mom. This week's special guest judge was none other than Joan Kors, Michael's look-a-like mother. Could La Kors have BEEN more tan?

Before I break down the outfits, I have a few things to say about Jeffrey. Okay, I will admit that Angela's mom didn't seem all that easy to work with. She was pretty whiny and kind of annoying (she created Angela, how cool could she be?). However, Jeffrey was out of control rude to her, treating her like total crap most of the time. There was absolutely no reason why he couldn't have at least tried to be nice to her, or at least dropped the 'tude. Also, I didn't need his continued rants about how he couldn't stand the fact that they were designing for larger women. Hello, Jeff, not every woman on the planet is a size 0 model! If you're going on PR, then you're attempting to break into mainstream fashion, which means your clothes will likely be sold in a department store where women in sizes like 10 and 12 actually shop. Probably not the best career move to essentially tell all those women that they're not worthy of your creations. Also, despite Darlene's reservation and attitude, it's Jeffrey's responsibility to be professional and to blend his style with his clients ideas/needs. Yes, he wasn't happy with her color choices, but maybe there was a different way to sway her opinion. Remember on the Miss USA challenge, when Tara requested earth tones, but Kayne created a lovely mauve dress for her? He created a great dress and sold his vision to Tara in a complimentary way and she fell in love with it, proving that there is a way to change the client's mind AND be professional at the same time. Finally, I'm not sure why his mom didn't call him out instead of trying to defend him. For the record, my mom would have kicked my ass for talking to someone else's mom that way on national TV. Come on, Pam, lay the smack down!

My winner of the week was Uli's silk poncho and pants for Kayne's mom, Mary. I wasn't totally sure how she was going to make a patterned outfit slimming, but I think she did an excellent job. Her outfit was flattering and totally approriate for Mary's figure and age. I could totally see her wearing it out to dinner or a special dressy night. Good job, Uli. :)

Runner-up goes to my usual fave Michael (Love you, Mike!) and the adorable reversable shirtdress that he created for Robert's sister, Teresa. The dress was totally cute, fit her great and had a really thoughtful concept (totally reversable!). However, I put Michael in second place because his model, who was the youngest and slimmest, presented the easiest design opportunity.

Crazy Vincent, the challenge winner, actually created a dress I didn't hate for Uli's adorable mother, Heidi. I have to admit, I liked the dress more when I saw it for the first time, and like it less as time went on. But it was cute, age approriate and fit pretty well. Also, if at all possible, Heidi Klum was even cuter while speaking German to Heidi.

Kayne designed a very wearable top and pants ensemble for Michael's mom, Pamela. I did agree with the judges, that he should have opened up the neckline instead of the scarf/bib that he used. I have to disagree with La Nina's critique of the capri pants though--Moms (mine included) love them and wear them often.

Angela chose to work with Laura's mom and made a black pantsuit that was supposed to be Audrey Hepburn-inspired. I didn't totally get the weird fringey belt thing, and thought it was sort of young for her. It wasn't totally offensive, but just not what I would have done. Also, the purse didn't go at all, not sure why she threw that in. I do have to say, I'm surprised that Angela's made it this far.

Unfortunately, Robert's mummu-style dress and shawl for Vincent's sister, Patricia, was his final PR design. I'm kinda torn here, because this is something that I could picture a woman of Patricia's size and age purchasing and wearing. However, it did continue Robert's trend of being fatally boring, so I guess that's why he was sent home. If I were in charge, I'm not sure what I would have done. Robert's outift was at least wearable, if unflattering and boring. But he has established himself as a chronic under achiever, so maybe I would have chosen him, too?

Despite all the bickering and crap-talking, MeanJeffrey made an ugly monstrosity of a dress for WhinyDarlene. In the end, I give props to Darlene for wearing it, because it made her look pretty big on TV and was oddly shaped. For all his ego, if Jeffrey were so darn great, then why hasn't he even come close to winning a challenge? I feel like this is a classic case of him thinking that no one "understands him" when everyone does, they just dislike his work. At least I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home