Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Let's Get It On...

Get up, yos, because Michigan football kicks off the 2006 season in 3 short days. I have to admit after last season, I haven't been as excited about our prospects as I have been in the past. Sure, we've got a lot of talent and I'm excited to see what happens when we actually have a defensive coordinator (Hi Coach English!). However, after our perrenial underachievements under Coach LLLLLoyd Carr, I've sort of lost that "OMG, the season hasn't started yet, and we can totally go undefeated this year! BCS, BABY!" feeling I once had. Maybe I'm old and cynical, maybe I've just seen too many seasons and missed opportunities to go there anymore, who knows. I guess I've just grown weary of watching us desparately trying not to lose, instead of coming into a game knowing we're the better team and showing that on the field. I'm not saying we need to win by 75 points, but honestly, I'd take that over a pansy "Too bad someone had to win" kind of attitude. Yes, you can count me in the Lloyd needs to go camp, I've made peace with it. Either way, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic now, and just sort of hope for the best.

I don't normally make season predictions, but I'm going to go out on a limb and do them this year. Let me preface with this disclaimer: I, Just Ask Jess, am simply throwing out my best guesses, based on random facts and past experience. I'd be delighted if this team proves me wrong and goes out there and beats everyone. No one will be happier than me. However, I'm trying to be realistic with these picks...

Here's the schedule and my picks:

Games I think we will win:
**Vanderbilt, Central Michigan and Ball State--Cream Puffs of the Non-Con schedule this season. That Vandy game would have been a lot more interesting if it were played last year. And for the record, can I point out how weird it is that BallsTate is our last home game?

**Wisconsin--We'll do our best to avenge last year's loss at Camp Randall and the Badgers will be without Coach Alvarez and most of last year's starting offense.

**@ Minnesota--Sorry, Crunchy's parents, but beating us once every 20 years or so is about enough for you. The Brown jug's coming home this time. You look a lot more beatable with "Maloney" (Furry Tractor pick-up) in the NFL
**Michigan State--Jen, I'll give it to you Stanton's good, but there's also the iffy defense, a crazy coach and Michigan homefield. Advantage: Good guys.

**Northwestern--Can I just take this opportunity to say that Northwestern's coach is, in fact, 31! Yikes!

**@ Indiana--I don't have anything to say about this game. It's INDIANA.

Games I think we will lose:
**@ Notre Dame--In ESPN's fantasy scenario, their golden boys will win in their annual "Return to Glory". In other news, Charlie Wies should probably eat less...


**@ Penn State--I will, of course, be celebrating the nuptuals of a certain redhead I know on PSU weekend, but I'm thinking missing this game won't be so bad after all. We can't own Penn State forever and a night game at Beaver Stadium seems as good a time as any to break that streak. Incidentally, I am looking forward to the Henne-Morelli match-up. I, however, am not looking forward to the way my boss (Penn State alumna) will gloat if they do happen to win.

**Iowa--I think this is our toughest home game all year, and I think we're not good/lucky enough to get through the home season without a loss.

**@ Ohio State
--Honestly, at what point do people realize that Lloyd is the new John Cooper of this rivalry?

*Note--3 of the 4 losses I'm predicting are coming on the road.
Some stats for the last 5 years in support of these predictions:
Carr's road record (including Bowl Games): 16-13
Carr's record at Notre Dame: 0-3 (3-4 overall vs. ND)
Carr's record at Ohio State: 2-3 (6-5 overall vs. OSU)


Overall Season Prediction- 8-4, which will likely become 8-5 after a predictable bowl game loss. Not a total meltdown, but smack dab in the middle of Mediocre-ville. Prove me wrong, guys. I'm waiting...

"Michigan-Baby wants Touchdowns!" So do I, Dave Arnold. So do I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home