Tuesday, September 05, 2006

FF: Week One Presser


ESPN.com news services--Updated: Sep. 5, 2006, 1:05 PM ET

It’s a new season for Jessica Bailey, Head Coach and General Manager of Check It To Pancakes (Formerly Vote for Pedro) in the Greedy Snoody ESPN-FFLeague and Coach Bailey couldn’t be happier about that.

“We’re going in with a clean slate and I’m really excited about that. We’ve got a new roster and are looking to really make our mark this year in the ESPN-FFL,” stated Bailey, in her Monday morning press conference. “Last season, we finished 4-9, which was a disappointment to say the least. We’ve made a lot of moves this off-season and I think we’re ready to get out there and prove to the league that we have what it takes to get that (championship) ring.”

Off-season moves for the team included dropping former starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger from the roster entirely, after a motorcycle accident this June. Roethlisberger broke his nose and jaw in the crash and drew much criticism for not wearing a helmet, an offense that had reportedly prompted a lecture from Coach Bailey in the past.

“We were sad to part ways with (Ben) this season, but unfortunately, his contract did include a reckless behavior clause. Because he engaged in dangerous behavior, we had to make the tough decision not to renew his contract. We wish Ben the best with More Cowbell.”

Check It To Pancakes will replace Roethlisberger with Peyton Manning, who was Coach Bailey’s QB on 2004’s The Manning Experience. The Manning Experience finished 11-3 and made it to the second round in the play-offs, something Bailey hopes to repeat this season.

“We’re ecstatic to have Peyton back on the roster. Some people might think I was wrong, (choosing Manning in the first round), but he’s going to be a key player in our offense. I loved him (in 2004) and I said going into the draft if one of the top 4 running backs wasn’t left on the board, he was my guy. I think, come play-off time, my decision will prove to be the right one,” Coach Bailey said.

Other members returning to Bailey’s team include starting running back, Reuben Droughns and backup quarterback, Mark Brunell. The rest of the team will all be new players for Bailey, who’s looking forward to the challenge.

“I’m really excited to be working with some new talent this season. I’ve watched these guys and I think they’re going work well together,” Coach Bailey said. Peyton and Alge finished second in the league last year (with O Trident, My Trident). They’ve got play-off experience which is going to really help us in the long run.”

Bailey says that she’s not going to make predictions for the season, but is cautiously optimistic.

“We may have an up-hill battle, but we’re up for the challenge. We didn’t draft in a prime spot this year, despite a difficult season last year, but we did the best we could with our choices. We’ve got a great group of guys and I can’t wait to see what they can do.”

Check It To Pancakes Full Team Roster (before pre-Week 1 cuts, to be made later this week):

QB: Peyton Manning
QB: Mark Brunell
QB: Chris Simms
RB: Warrick Dunn
RB: Reuben Droughns
RB: Frank Gore
RB: Stephen Davis
RB: Chris Brown
WR: Hines Ward
WR: Donald Driver
WR: Matt Jones
WR: Ernest Wilford
WR: Michael Clayton
TE: Alge Crumpler
K: John Kasay
Def: Seattle

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Project Runway???? *sniff*

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Tyson said...

I'm afraid I have bad news.... Manning retired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home